2021 Has Seen a High Demand for Self-Storage in South Africa!
What is the driving force behind the storage revolution? This is not only the case in South Africa, but across the globe. During the 90s, storage was an exclusive, niche product. Storage was garaging, and other spaces rented out by farmers to earn extra income. The self-storage industry has replicated the model. This was for easier access to people and businesses in cities!
How Has the Storage Landscape Changed to What it is in 2021?
1. Where Did it All Begin?
Where did self-storage first begin? The history goes back many decades and is now fast becoming a booming global industry. We look at an in-depth history of when the self-storage revolution began.
- Today the self-storage space is looking very different! What has made this a storage revolution to what it is today? We take an in-depth in the way storage has changed throughout the years.
- The storage industry was first established in the USA in 1958.
- Over the next 40 years, the industry started growing, going from strength to strength!
- It did not take long for the storage industry to grow from a billion square feet, doubling in a short space.
- This is according to the United States Self-Storage Association.
- Self-storage units became trendy and continued going from strength to strength.
- Almost 3 000 new storage facilities sprang up between 2000 and 2005.
2. Why the Trend for Self-Storage Is Global. We Tell You!
Self-storage has been around in the United States since 1958. This is when it all began. It has created a global trend for business owners. Self-storage is a popular concept in Europe, the UK, Australia, and other countries.
- We find similar trends and patterns in the UK and Australia.
- Since 2011, 121 new storage facilities have been a demand driver in the UK. The rapid growth has slowed down in the UK, according to the UK Self Storage Association.
- Australia’s self-storage industry grew during the 90s.
- Of special interest is that 1 in every 4 Australians have made use of short-term storage at least once in their lives.
- At the peak of the industry’s growth in Australia, growth was at 15% per annum.
- The growth rate has slowed down in Australia, but the industry remains buoyant.
3. How Did Self-Storage Begin in South Africa?
The self-storage phenomenon began primarily because of investment property developers. They saw a gap in the market and observed global success stories. These were in Europe, the UK, and the USA! The industry was growing across the globe.
- Property developers in South Africa were sourcing large, inexpensive expanses of land. This was to build units.
- They rented these out phase by phase over a couple of years.
- Most were units that customers could drive up to.
- Mobility of South Africans retiring is probably responsible for self-storage growth.
- Divorce is also responsible, to some extent, for the boom in the storage industry. Divorce rates have declined since the late 90s.
- In comparison to global storage concepts, South Africa’s self-storage industry is a new idea.
- Self-storage is fast gaining traction and becoming a booming industry in South Africa.
What Are the 3 Driving Forces Behind Self-Storage Demand?
1. Home Sizes are Getting Smaller!
It has been a tradition for middle-class South Africans to have large homes, big yards, and swimming pools. The average size of middle-class South African homes has shrunk over the past couple of years. Of special interest is SA homes are more in line with the size of homes in Australia, which is an average of 206 sq. m.
- Statistics show that sizes of newer homes have dropped by 1/3 since 2005.
- Estates with access control are growing in popularity.
- The change for smaller homes in complexes is trending due to economic pressures and other factors.
- South Africans have less space and need extra space for their goods.
- The demand for additional space through sourcing third-party facilities has increased.
- Storage at an off-site location is growing in popularity as a result.
2. Why Are Retirees and Empty Nesters Driving The Demand?
Retirees and empty nesters often choose to go smaller. They find that this is a great way to bolster their retirement savings. The negative side to downsizing is often a lack of space.
- Increased security is one of the upsides of downsizing is increased security. Another upside is a decrease in maintenance costs on larger homes.
- Storing the contents of a large property could be challenging.
- Easy Store has the right size unit for you no matter what you plan to store.
- An off-site location to store a life-time of memories and items is the resolution for many retirees.
3. How is Self-Storage Providing Solutions for Storing Valuables?
Crime is high in South Africa. Burglaries are one of the problems South African citizens face. Insurance on valuables could cost a pretty penny.
- Businesses storing goods on their premises could tally up insurance costs. The result is many are looking at secure self-storage as an option.
- Storing valuables away from your premises under lock and key is a cheap, safe solution.
- Self-storage units are guarded 24/7, have secure perimeter fencing.
Don’t Delay! Find Out About Self-Storage Solutions in SA:
At Easy Store, we store all our containers in a lock-up warehouse. This is equipped with an alarm system. A 24-hour alarm system is linked to a response company. Our premises are fenced, plus there are floodlights. Our warehouse has an overhead sprinkler system, fire hose reels, fire extinguishers, and fire hydrants in the event of an emergency.
Contact us today to find out about our safe, dry warehouse options. Send us a message. We will get back to you about convenient self-storage solutions.